Ballroom Technique
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Promenade Position

Go down

Promenade Position Empty Promenade Position

Post  stevepny Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:55 pm

I've long been searching for a complete technical description of promenade position. I'll post my favorite descriptions here, and look forward to hearing other people's ideas as well.

Last edited by stevepny on Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:08 am; edited 1 time in total

stevepny

Back to top Go down

Promenade Position Empty Re: Promenade Position

Post  stevepny Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:09 pm

Peter Eggleton described the 'invention' of the Promenade Position as the man turning (e.g. into a closed impetus) and then falling and looking backwards as the lady stepped forward. I believe the important insight here is to think of the PP as a backward action for the man.

Luca adopts this 'backward' idea for PP as well. The person going backward typically is the one responsible for moving, and in the case of PP it is the man.

Luca gives the best breakdown of PP I have heard so far. He discusses 3 planes of rotation:
(1) A forward and back rotation of the shoulders
(2) A fwd-and-back, in the vertical plane, rotation of hip to chest
(3) A side-to-side, in the vertical plane, rotation of hip to same side shoulder
Note that for each, there must be an equal rotation of two opposing points to maintain balance.

So e.g. in a waltz PP such as the open impetus, the man would (1) rotate R shoulder fwd, L shoulder back, (2) rotate chest up away from hips, (3) slightly lift left hip towards left shoulder. Ladies would do the natural opposite.

I'll also note that trying to achieve this backward feeling gives the PP a very similar feeling to the Telespin.

stevepny

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum