Ballroom Technique
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Progressive Link

4 posters

Go down

Progressive Link Empty Progressive Link

Post  stevepny Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:59 am

There are many ways to dance the progressive link. In fact, when it was originally written in the technique book, each of the contributors had their own version. I recall Peter Eggleton describing how he disliked the version that ended up in the book, calling it a 'REgressive link' since it steps back. He preferred closing the RF close to the LF on step 2 to enable progression into the next Slow. Describe here in detail the version you learned.

stevepny

Back to top Go down

Progressive Link Empty Re: Progressive Link

Post  mpr9b Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:49 am

I'm not nearly as educated on dance as you are, and have never heard of Peter's commentary on that figure. I actually was trying to think of various ways to classify figures, and thought one interesting category set was figures that do(don't) correctly describe the action for man and lady. For example the Chasse to Right is one that doesn't (the woman turns left). The reverse turn does because we both are turning in reverse. The reason I mention this is that I like to think of the progressive link as progressive for guys and regressive for girls.

So As I take my first step as man I continue to take it as a form of curving walk, making sure to continue the turning to left action. Alternatively one can take it contra body. From there it is important to rotate the girl, allowing her to swivel her feet to face in the proper direction. Then we are able to take steps in opposite directions. I am going to make sure I progress (bringing right foot towards left foot) and she is going to step backwards (away from my left foot). In that way I progress and she regresses. I personally have a problem of stepping my second step regressively, which often makes it nearly impossible for us to maintain the proper alignment differentiation between ourselves. I personally do not like closing, for two reasons. As a note, I do it now, but that is because I am trying to get that feeling of progressing forwards in step two, and it is the most forward I can go.

1: It shouldn't be possible. If the girl takes a strong step away from you, you shouldn't be able to close your feet and maintain a frame/connection. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.
2: If you close your feet you are faced with an option. You are to sacrifice the beautiful extended legline or you can move your left leg immediately after the right step. I've found moving that leg and maintaining contact with the ladies right leg (or even just losing and regaining it) very difficult/inconvenient.

For those reasons I try to step somewhere under the following two rules.
1: I must step proressively
2: I must not close
Where I step within those two regulations depends on the follow and how much initiative she takes in that backwards step / how much position we have between ourselves.

As a smaller note that I thought interesting. I once had the curving walks described to me as "around the perimeter of a circle". The progressive link also continues that patter, stepping on the perimeter of the circle (always continuing along it). The body turns to face the tangent for the promenade position.

mpr9b
Admin

https://ballroomtechnique.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  stevepny Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:19 am

Instructional video by Marcus and Karen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swjrEwMnwHI

stevepny

Back to top Go down

Post  dwalk Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:30 am

Calf Raises? Do them.

dwalk

Back to top Go down

Post  douglass1983 Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:37 am

Whenever she calls me up for a night on the town, I know it's because she needs an enabling chauffeur to drive her home after a long hedonistic sweat bath of reckless dance floor abandon, which usually spirals down a rabbit hole of rage and frantic hysteria Tango

douglass1983

http://www.slycams.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum