Ballroom Technique
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Natural Spin Turn to Turning Lock to R

4 posters

Go down

The Natural Spin Turn to Turning Lock to R Empty The Natural Spin Turn to Turning Lock to R

Post  stevepny Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:14 pm

Many figures in ballroom are considered "Expensive", in the sense that it takes dozens of lessons to develop those figures well. The waltz natural spin turn is one of those figures. I think we should collect the sum of knowledge and technical tips each person has learned for this figure.

stevepny

Back to top Go down

The Natural Spin Turn to Turning Lock to R Empty Re: The Natural Spin Turn to Turning Lock to R

Post  stevepny Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:33 pm

Step 4 of NST:
The THT step for the man on step 4 of the natural spin turn is difficult to decipher in the book. You should step back with the LF on step 4 onto the Toe and pivot on the Toe. The Heel of the LF may be in slight contact with the floor, but it doesn't not have weight. The Heel lowers into the floor only when you have completed the turn. This is true anywhere there is a turn other than a heel turn, the heel lowers AFTER the turn is complete. This will give you move leverage to drive out of the left foot into step 5 of the spin turn.

In the context of this amalgamation, step 4 must be turned in and taken slightly towards DW to allow for greater turn to facilitate the overturned NST. The lady will only think about swinging forward, but the commencement of rotation in the man's R leg at the end of step 3 during the lowering will direct her to follow his movement toward DW.

stevepny

Back to top Go down

The Natural Spin Turn to Turning Lock to R Empty Re: The Natural Spin Turn to Turning Lock to R

Post  mpr9b Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:44 pm

So I think that highlights the confusion. The THT means that the weight is placed into the toe (ball) of the foot, and the heel is placed in contact with the floor throughout the course of the turn, and the toe at the end signifies that the weight stays in the ball of the foot.

Not having any interpretation of the THT marking I tried to take it literally for a moment, experimenting with
a: on step 4 transferring weight to the heel before the commencement of the turn, which needless to say didn't work well at all.
b: on step 4 transferring weight to the heel and then forward into the toe for the turn, which seemed to be a pointless complication.

But thanks for the clarification. It's good to know that I'm not shorting something out in the action.

mpr9b
Admin

https://ballroomtechnique.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  stevepny Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:54 pm

The heel lowering is part of exiting the step. You tried two options which were logically valid based on the description (or lack thereof) in the book. But I think your better two options are:
a: On step 4: step onto T, pivot on T, lower heel at the end of the turn, release heel while driving into step 5.
b: On step 4: step onto T, pivot on T with light contact of the heel on the floor, lower weight into heel at end of turn, and release heel while driving into step 5.

I prefer a, because I find it difficult to try to get the heel to touch the ground while I pivot. I just focus on being over the front of my foot until the turn is complete. As an exercise, Garry suggested not even lowering the heel on this step. That should help get you the feel of the pivot part, but it makes the next step feel weak. That's why the heel lowering is important, for the following step.

stevepny

Back to top Go down

Post  cieltombant Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:23 pm

Hi peeps,

My first post so we'll see how it goes. I follow the interpretation that Steve mentioned. I like the 'b' version though, with a slight touching in the heel as you pivot on the toe. I'd like to proffer a second interpretation of the difference in the 'a' and 'b' step. This is a result of seeing the next step in the book (step 5).

Step 5 is a RF fwd in CBMP

Where CMBP - A foot position wher ethe food is placed on or across the lind of the supporting foot, either in frond or behind to maintain body line.

Could the slight pressure in the heel be used to control the rotation of the spin? Also could the heel touching the ground help acheive the CBMP for the next step?

Also we haven't discussed the "turning lock to the right" part yet. Smile

Any thoughts?

cieltombant

Back to top Go down

Post  stevepny Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:16 pm

CBMP on step 5 is a result of the pivot on step 4, it isn't something you should try to achieve. In this situation, I believe it is primarily due to the fact that you are turning to the R and it transitions from the lady passing to the man passing.

I think if you try to use pressure in the LF heel during the pivot you will be too back-weighted. I think this another action that should be a result of proper posture and alignment, not something you try to achieve.

Also note that step 5 is the spin turn, not step 4. In order to overturn the NST, you will have to take step 4 slightly DW, sending the lady slightly DW. The lady should finish her pivot over her RF before stepping back for step 5. I notice most ladies underturn step 4. Then step slightly DW on step 5 (no rise), pivot completely around and the man and lady continue to rotate through to step 6.

It's important that step 6 of the NST is TH. This is not just the lowering of the foot, but the driving through the foot into the Turning Lock to R.

Tips for Turning Lock:
For man, stay vertical. Don't try to sway L or R. If you 'try', it will probably be too much.
Focus on getting your sides over your feet. If you try to get your spine over your foot you've gone too far and you're off balance. On step 3, step between the lady's feet and continue to rotate the upper body so the last step in PP can lead with the left lat.

For ladies, make sure to take 'the long way around'. Don't just drive straight through, but take your head in a wide circle to the Left around the outside of the turn. On step 3, start forward toward DW, and end in the book alignment (backing DC).

stevepny

Back to top Go down

Post  dwalk Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:29 am

Calf Raises

dwalk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum